Sir Alex Ferguson. One of the greatest and most successful managers of all time. And to honour his legendary status, the Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge has been created in Football Manager 2018. This is a challenge where you try to be as good or even a better manager than Sir Alex during his time at Manchester United. This challenge has some requirements and goals. This blog will show you my progress to be the next Sir Alex Ferguson. I will try to take you through all my choices during a season.
Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge requirements
- Holiday until November 6th – Ferguson took over Man United on Novermber 6th 1986
- Take over the team 2nd bottom in the Premiership – United were 2nd bottom when Fergie took over
- Stay at this one club – Ferguson stayed at United until 2013
- Aim to bring youth players through – Ferguson often focused on bringing youth through, notably in 1995 with the likes of Giggs, Beckham, Neville, Scholes, Butt to name but a few, aka Fergie’s Fledglings.
- Persuade long term players to become part of your backroom staff and/or managers – Scholes, Solskjaer, Bruce, Keane, Berg, Ince, Robson, Hughes, Strachan, Blanc, Robins etc
Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge Goals
- Win a domestic cup within 4 seasons – Ferguson won his first cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90
- Win a league title within 7 seasons – Ferguson won his first title in 92/93
- Win a league and cup double within 8 seasons – Ferguson wonhis first double with United in 93-94
- Win a league, cup and Champions League within 13 seasons – Ferguson won the infamous treble in 98/99
What will happen now?
I just started a new game on Football Manager 2018 and went on holiday until November 6th. At that moment the league table was as followed:
As you can see, the club taking place 2nd of the bottom is Brighton & Hove Albion. So as the challenge prescribed, I took over control of Brighton and checked out the club. The newly promoted team has a nice squad but at first glance I can see this is going to be a hard game. One positive point out all of this is that the clubs we will battling for relegation are also on a low amount of points. The schedule is hard in the next few matches. We will start with Arsenal (2nd), following with Huddersfield (14th), Man City (4th), Watford (8th) and Liverpool (1st).
In the Carabao Cup we are already knocked out by Southampton.
Looking at the squad I see that especially the defense is low on players. For the positions on the sides of the defense I only have 3 players available. That will be the positions I will strengthen in January. Despide the low number of defenders I will be using the 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic for the first few matches. I will be using a Counter mentality, a Structured team shape and will only use one instruction, Shorter Passing.
I will see you after a few games.